Pasadena Domestic Violence Defense Attorney
DAVALOS DEFENSE LAW FIRM CAN HELP
What Is Domestic Violence in California?
In California, domestic violence victims can include:
- Spouses and ex-spouses
- Domestic partners and former domestic partners
- Fiancé(e)s and former fiancé(e)s
- Current and former intimate partners who whom you have lived
- The biological parent of a shared child
- Dating partners and former dating partners
- Extended family members
- Domestic violence crimes can include domestic battery, “corporal injury,” no matter how slight, child abuse, neglect, or endangerment, elder abuse, stalking, criminal threats, aggravated trespass, damaging a phone line, and posting harmful information about or sexual pictures of the alleged victim online, referred to as “revenge porn.”
Depending on the alleged crime and other circumstances regarding the case, you may be facing misdemeanor or felony charges. It is important to understand that you can be convicted of domestic battery even if you did cause an actual visible injury. For example, an accusation of shoving or pushing could lead to a domestic battery conviction.
Domestic Violence Penalties
Any domestic violence charge is taken very seriously by law enforcement, and the courts carry an array of penalties. For example, a misdemeanor charge of domestic battery is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 or jail of up to a year or both. If probation is granted, you will be required to participate in a batterer’s treatment program for at least a year. You also may be required to reimburse the alleged victim for counseling costs and any other expenses related to the crime. For those with previous convictions, the penalties are generally harsher.
Additional consequences of a domestic violence conviction may be a restraining order issued by the court that prohibits you from making any contact with the alleged victim. You may also lose custody of any minor children you share with him or her. Finally, a conviction will result in a permanent criminal record which will appear on any routine background check in the future.
Your entire life can be drastically changed after something as small as a verbal domestic argument in your own home. When called to the scene of a domestic disturbance, police officers will commonly arrest whomever they believe is the main aggressor, often with little or no real evidence. With so much at stake, you cannot afford to face the criminal justice system without a strong defender. Our Pasadena domestic violence lawyer will fight for you with skill and determination every step of the way in seeking a favorable outcome.
WHY DAVALOS DEFENSE LAW FIRM IS THE RIGHT CHOICE
Experience. Determination. Results.